Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ma & Pa Nelson

Scott and I had the privilege to to on the Trek this year with our stake. We were asked to be a Ma and a Pa. The Trek is the opportunity for us to reenact the pioneers as they crossed the plains. Scott and I were the Ma & Pa for 8 of the youth. We had the best "children".


Here we are in the beginning.

Here's our flag that Vanessa, our big sister, made. Isn't it awesome!!!

Here's our boys: Scott, Brad, Weston, & Jackson.

Here's all our girls: Amanda, Haley, Vanessa, Elizabeth, and Carley

Here are the plains.

Weston and Jackson playing a pioneer game.

The pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked!!!

Here is a long line of our group. Awesome huh!!!


A shot of the girls getting ready for the "girls' pull".

Here's us girls trying to pull the cart up a steep hill(it is way steeper than the photo makes it look). I'm in the blue bonnet.

Here we are in action. It was so hard!!!

Here's the men cheering the girls on.

Here we are at the top after the pull....we did it. It was incredibly hard too. I'm so proud of our girls!!!


We did this for hours and hours and no one complained. It was awesome.

Scott and I with Martin's Cove in the background. My face is all puffy...it was an emotional journey....lots of tears.

Here is Weston and Jackson and Haley reenacting the pioneers.

Here is a statue of one of the men who carried hundreds of people across the Sweet Water River when is was near Zero degrees and the water was half iced over in a snow storm. Incredible!!!

Our family crossing the Sweet Water River.

What a handsome pioneer!



At the end of the trip. Top row: Scott, Vanessa, Amanda, Brad, Tami, Elizabeth, Haley. Bottom Row: Jackson, Weston, and Carley.

It was such an incredible experience. I'm so grateful for our pioneers. I hope that I can be as strong as them and stay strong in my faith in hard times just like they did. They are truly inspiring.

6 comments:

Steph Kjelstrom said...

John and I got to do that when we lived in Tucson, although we weren't in Wyoming it was still a very cool experience. Glad you got to go!

Lindsay said...

That is so cool. I bet youguys were the best Ma and Pa's. I love the pictures. What a great experiance for your youth.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Hey, looks like fun! (I'm one of Scott's many cousins btw). I got your blog addy from David and Nanette Nelson's blog. You guys have a good looking family and you guys seem to have a lot of fun. It is fun to see what Scott is up to these days. We haven't kept in touch very well with all the Colorado cousins so it's fun to see how you guys are doing. Say HI to everyone for me. I'll have to email my blog address to Nanette and you can check it out if you want. I don't want to post it here.

Michaelson Family said...

Ok, so I guess I haven't looked at your blog in a while b/c I just spent about 15 minutes reading everything you have been up to. Holy cow, you have been busy. I love all your new pictures. It totally reminded me of the trek I went on as a youth. Looks like you guys had fun.
Can't wait to actually get to play ball again. I am stoked!!!

Heidi said...

What an awesome experience! How neat to be in some of the exact places also! You guys are awesome!!

Troy and Sue said...

Brings back memories! It was sooo hard and yet such a spiritual experience. You guys are awesome!